Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What the heck is Ener-g and how can it make cookies?

I thought by doing this plant-focused Engine 2 Diet plan I would not be faced with any more surprises in recipes.

I thought wrong.

Majorly.

As I put together my shopping list for the week, I found myself going to 3 different locations, JUST TO GET MY WEEKLY GROCERIES.

Unacceptable.

I started out at the Farmer's Market, but instead of enjoying following my senses and picking out the produce that looked fresh and delicious, I had to follow a list. One of the vendors told me I needed to "live a little and lose the list." He has no idea how right he is...

Then I went to the local grocery store. Matt is convinced that we can find everything we could ever need at this grocery store. Sadly that is not true, but we did find MOST of what we needed.

Except things like wheat germ and Ener-G Egg Replacer.

WTF

I had no idea what either of those things looked like, but I knew the wheat germ would be in the bulk section of Whole Foods, so I figured I should start there.

I am pretty sure every employee at my local WF takes a bathroom break when I get there because I ask at least 9 of them to help me find things. This was no exception. I needed to find this freaking Ener-G stuff.

A kind employee led me to this box:

*Image Credit Google Search

Beyond the fact that this box looks like it is from the 1950s, I was a little concerned with the fact that this is in fact a processed food and that is exactly what Rip Esselstyn harps against. But, in the spirit of participating fully, I went ahead and bought this scary looking box that was filled with God knows what that is supposed to be an egg substitute. *shudder*

I needed the mystery box to make cookies. I needed cookies if I was going to survive this whole shebang. Therefore, the box was coming home.

I made these "Chocolate Chunk Cookies" and at first, I was way unimpressed. By first, I mean as I was scooping cookie dough into my mouth, I was not loving it. Also by first, when I burned the roof of my mouth trying one of these basically the second they came out of the oven, I was also unimpressed.

They were all cake-like and squishy and had a weird flavor.

But, by golly, by the next day when they had cooled, they tasted ok. I'd even venture to say that I liked them.

Eureka!


We're almost through this batch and I guess I need to venture out and find more dark chocolate chips (why is WF the only place that carries this?) because these may be my sole nutrition for the next few days. That's alright, isn't it, Rip?

Here's the recipe for Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Engine 2 Diet:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 1/4 cup water
1 cup plus 4 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon finely ground sea salt (I used regular ground...not sure what level of groundness is appropriate here...does it say so on the box?)
2 cups 70 percent cocoa (or greater) chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Mix the applesauce, flaxseed, and sugar together using an electric or hand mixer. Beat in the Ener-G and vanilla. Mix the remaining ingredients (except the chocolate chunks) in a separate bowl.
Gradually combine the dry and wet ingredients until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks. Place rounded, heaping tablespoons of dough onto a sprayed or parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. I've never used Ener-G, and I probably won't buy it. I really like golden flax meal mixed with water as a substitute for eggs, especially in cookies.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.