Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Green Pizza and I'm Feeling a Little CRUSTY!

It's been about a week and a half on this Engine 2 madness, and it had to be done. We had to make a pizza. No ifs, ands, or buts.

May I be frank for a second? I have a serious frustration with this Engine 2 book in terms of the recipes. Now, I know the book is not just a cookbook but is also the whole method behind the madness (and a really intense workout that made my bum sore for seriously 3 days), but I strongly dislike the product marketing. I get that this book has fostered a lucrative deal for Rip-a-roo and Whole Foods, but I RARELY buy processed or packaged or pre-made foods. But this diet has forced me to do that on numerous ocassions.

Exhibit A: Pizza Crust.

In the recipe for this Green Pizza, it calls for Kabuli crusts. I have no idea what those are. I looked around WF and could not find them. Since I have no idea how to make pizza crust that is prepared within the parameters of this diet, I had a mild panic attack in WF that lead to me buying some other crust.

That looked like this when I got home:


That's right folks, that's MOLD.

I spent at least $4 on a pizza crust that had MOLD on it when I am sure I am quite capable of cooking a knock out pizza crust!!!

I'm hurt. I'm not sure who to blame. The pizza crust company? Maybe. Whole Foods? I'm sure they're partially to blame. No, I am mostly pissed off that I had to buy this crappy pizza crust dough because I felt uncapable of cooking something for this diet!!!!

GAH!!!!!

Ok, so, glad I got that off my chest.

In other news, I did eat a bite of the crust before realizing it had mold on it. Was vigilantly checking myself in the mirror to make sure I didn't have the flesh eating bacteria after that little incident.

So, anyways, I went BACK to WF and bought ANOTHER crust and this time it wasn't moldy. And since I was so pissed off, I decided not to buy the suggested "pizza sauce" but rather was going to make Matt come up with his own. Which he did. And it was delicious.

The pizza was delicious. I will give you that. But the amount of effort and frustration that went into creating this dish was not healthy. NOT HEALTHY I TELL YOU!

(Can't you tell how angry I am by the quality of this photo??)


Here is the recipe for "Green Pizza" from Engine 2 Diet:

Ingredients:


1 jar pasta sauce (we made our own, can of tomato sauce, garlic, and a few spices)
2 Kabuli crusts (we used moldz-ville brand I'm not repeating their name because I'm not sure it was their fault)
8 oz frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed and drained (we used fresh spinach)
1/2 C fresh whole basil leaves (forgot this part)
2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
2 C broccoli florets
1/2 C sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 C finely ground raw cashews or 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (we used both)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Generously spread the sauce on the crusts, and layer with the remaining ingredients except for the cashews/nutritional yeast. After all the veggies are added, sprinkle cashews/nutritional yeast on top. Bake on a sprayed cooking sheet or pizza stone for 15 minutes (we cooked ours on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper).

10 comments:

  1. I could not find Kabuli either, I settled for another brand and when I got it home, discoved it had oil in it! Used it anyway and the pizza was Delicious!!!!!!! I am going to have to start shopping out of town at a Whole Foods store, about 60 miles away! Hang in there it will get better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog when I googled kabuli crust because I had no idea what it was either. I just started the E2 diet a week ago. After watching 'forks over knives,' my boyfriend and I have decided to try the vegan thing out (after nearly 30 years of being avid meat eaters) so far it's going pretty well. I'm so excited to find your blog though, I just bookmarked it, I think it will likely help me through this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to find your blog because I share your thoughts exactly! Thanks for the recipe! I am making it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog!! I too found it as I was looking for a recipe for Kabuli crusts, I agree with your sentiments exactly. As for me, since the recipe doesn't appear to be available, I will just use a recipe that found on line at http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianpizzarecipes/r/wheatcrust.htm I, personally am not going to get worked up over my family of six each getting 1/6 of a TBSP of oil once or twice a month. Especially with the amount of fruits, veggies and whole grains they are eating. I think that with any eating plan, you have to recognize that you are eating healthy and that just like life, everyday won't be perfect but as long as you're moving in the right direction, you're on the path to healthy and happy living. Best wishes, thanks for blogging for "Real People" in the "Real World!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha glad I found this! I was planning on going by Whole Foods and buying some Kabuli crusts too but now I know better! I won't waste my time and just look for something else. Thanks for posting this, it's great to read about other people trying this diet too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found your blog Googling Kabuli crusts. Like everyone else we had no luck finding them so we just bought something else instead. The 2 E2 pizza recipes we made have been good.
    I'll b checking out the rest of your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the Kabuli crust must be a "Texas" thing...since the author is from Texas, I don't know but we of course had the same issue. Second week on this diet and it's been incredible great weight loss for both of us and feeling great. No doubt it's work!! and if I can't find what is called for I will do my best to substitute an equal quality, but seriously, I'm not gonna stress over it...not worth it... Good luck all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kabuli Pizza Crusts are made by the Dallas Gourmet Bakery: http://dallasgourmetbakery.com/index.html. You can order from them directly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I also could not find the much ballyhooed Kabuli Pizza crusts, but I ended up using ones that I am sure would get the thumbs down from Rip. I also confess to not using one of the approved pizza sauces. While a pain in the ass, the Green Pizza is one of the tastiest recipes in the E2 book. Can't believe that Whole Foods didn't get the memo that it is supposed to have all E2-approved foods on its shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't find the Kabuli crusts at Whole Foods either, but I found a millet and flax crust from Sami's Bakery that sell for $4.50. The shipping is expensive though.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.