Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Monday, August 22, 2011

Vegan Veggie Burgers That Don't Suck!

Alright, we're still going strong on this Engine 2 Diet Review, but I have no noticed that since embarking on this journey, I have received ZERO comments. Not that I was swimming in the commentary over here, but like, I at least got a shout out here or there...

So that leads me to one of two conclusion:

1) You all were abducted by aliens
2) My crazy antics on this diet are not nearly as entertaining or noteworthy as they were before.

Any thoughts?

Is anyone out there?

Is this thing on?

Anyways, I'm still cooking and still screwing up in the kitchen so none of that has changed. I also just ordered a few new cookbooks which means this diet has a definite end date in sight :)

Anyways, I made veggie burgers this past week from Engine 2 and you know what, these were awesome! Like, I loved these bad boys and would gladly bring them to a cookout. They didn't fall apart and were really hearty. I slathered them in ketchup, mustard, and green hummus and also served them with some way undercooked red potatoes. Trying to eat those taters was like trying to chew on leather.

If that makes any sense...

On a vegan blog...

Anyways, I didn't really mess anything up with this recipe which must mean it is SUPER easy. So I therefore COMMAND you to try it. The cilantro really was icing on the cake for me and I could have easily eaten these two at a time. Matt loved them as well!

(Sorry for the weird picture, this was taken at work in a tupper ware container. That's usually a tell-tale sign that something is delicious - I was way too hungry to wait to take a pic at home.)


Here's the recipe for the "New York Times Veggie Burgers" from the Engine 2 Diet:

INGREDIENTS

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can tomatoes with zesty mild chilies, drained
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup parsley or cilantro
2 cups quick rolled oats
8 whole grain buns
Fresh veggie toppings and healthy condiments

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450ยบ. Process the first seven ingredients using an immersion or a regular blender or food processor. Remove contents into a large bowl and stir in the oats. Form into patties, place on a sprayed baking sheet (I used parchment paper...trying to go completely oil-free), and bake for 8 minutes. Turn oven up to broil and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until the tops are nicely browned. Toast the buns and pile on your favorite toppings.

4 comments:

  1. I forget to take pictures of what I'm eating all the time! For the same reasons. Sometimes I'd like the food served HOT for a change, rather than sitting around for 5 minutes while I pose it for a photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So -- this is your mother speaking. You want comments. I'm thrilled that you are doing all this cooking and that it's healthy cooking. Not sure everything you make is something I'd want to eat, but that's not the point. And this from a daughter who really had no interest in cooking when she was growing up. Go figure! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmarked! If I could figure out how to subscribe I would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg - i love that your mom commented for you. just now test driving Engine2 veggie burgers for my teenage son who is always starving and is also vegan (and picky). black bean burger w/engine 2 buns was a success. he didn't jump up and down but he ate it with ketchup and spinach leaves. off to a good start...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.