Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Monday, March 14, 2011

Curried Cauliflower Conundrum

Sorry for my silence these past few days. I've been ill. I could hardly bring myself to post today, but then I realized I was starting to forget all that I have cooked since last week, so I figured I needed to get this out before it is lost in the abyss. I apologize if this post seems crazy, I am having to pause between sentences to blow my nose and sanitize my computer.

Sexy.

The show must go on.

Curry. Don't love it. Don't know how to use it. Don't really know what it is. Interestingly enough, it seems every vegetarian/vegan cooks a curried dish at LEAST once a week. So I realized I needed to make my mind up about this spice rather than sit on the fence. So this post and probably tomorrow's post will be curry-themed. Enjoy. Or don't. I couldn't care less about anything right now because I'm sleep deprived and feel like my brain is going to come out of my nose. It probably already has...

My first confusion is the amount of different KINDS of curry you can have. Red curry, brown curry, yellow curry, polka dot curry. I just bought "curry" and then realized it said mild. I'm not a huge fan of the curry I have right now, so if you have any suggestions about your personal faves, please send them my way.

I tried a recipe for "Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes with Black-Eyed Peas" from Supermarket Vegan because I like cauliflower and this looked easy.

Here's what I did wrong:
-I used a yellow onion, not red.
-I used a lot more than 2 cloves of garlic...teehee...ouch, it hurts to laugh even virtually...
-I still have never weighed my food, so I have no idea how many potatoes I should/shouldn't have put into this stuff.
-I had some leftover orzo, so that's what I put the stuff on top of.

This was...ok. I've always imagined curried dishes to be so fragrant and flavorful, but honestly, this was bland. I need spice! I also am starting to come to the conclusion that I don't like black-eyed peas. They just aren't for me.

Here's a pic (I added some paprika on the top for color):


Here's the recipe:

Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes with Black-Eyed Peas from Supermarket Vegan

Ingredients

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 small red onion (about 4 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon mild curry powder, or to taste
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or water
1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-size florets
3/4 pound boiling potatoes, preferably red-skinned, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions

In a large deep-sided nonstick skillet with a lid, hea the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and curry powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the broth, cauliflower, potatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a brisk simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until potatoes are just tender, about 10 minnutes. Add the black-eyed peas and lemon juice and bring to a brisk simmer over medium-high heat. Cook, uncovered, adjusting the heat to maintain a brisk simmer and stirring occasionally, until potatoes and cauliflower are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let stand, covered, about 5 minutes, until much of the liquid has been absorbed. Serve at once.


I need some bomb.com recipes for curried dishes asap. Please send them my way so I have something to live for...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead...leave some love.