Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chutney sounds like a mean nickname...

I decided to try a recipe that looked weird from the Supermarket Vegan cookbook. Not sure what prompted me to do this, but from the reviews on the interwebs, it seems like others have been intrigued by how crazy this recipe sounds/is.

The recipe is called "Chutney Peanut Pita Pizzas with Broccoli."

...

I'm not sure I know what chutney is. So there's that. BUT, I had some spicy mango chutney in my fridge from another recipe I had tried out and figured that it's not like I'm going to just add chutney to random things, I probably need to proactively cook with it from a recipe.

So that's probably why I decided on this recipe.

I screwed up changed a good deal of this recipe because as the sauce kept coming together, the flavors started to make me want to puke.

So, here's MY TAKE on Supermarket Vegan's recipe for Chutney Peanut Pizza with Broccoli!!

Ingredients:

1/4 cup peanut butter (I used Jiffy)
3 T mango chutney
1 T tamari (or soy sauce)
1/2 T water
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp sesame oil (the recipe called for 2, but I really can't stand the flavor of this stuff)
2 garlic cloves, large, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 tortillas (the recipe called for pita bread, but I didn't have any, so I doubled the tortillas and had 4 completed pizzas)
1 head of broccoli, broken into bite sized florets (hahahahaha, I sound SO much like I know what I'm talking about...)
1 cup of fried onions
Rooster sauce to taste (I realized I used obscene language the last time I referenced this sauce, so I apologize. I really had no idea...)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together the peanut butter, chutney, tamari, water, lime juice, 1 tsp sesame oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Spread the peanut-chutney mixture evenly over the tortillas (I used 8 tortillas, doubling them to make 4 pizzas).

Arrange the tortillas on a non-stick baking sheet, top each with broccoli.

Bake in the center of the oven 10-12 minutes, until broccoli starts to soften.

Top with fried onions and rooster sauce and serve immediately.

These were...interesting. At first, I HATED them. But after a little bit, I started to like them. I think I would go easier on the PB next time because the issue I think was that the peanut sauce was dancing a fine line of being too sweet. The rooster sauce helped balance it out, but still.

Give these a go if you like peanut butter though! Hey-o rhyme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead...leave some love.