Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A New Post, a New Cookbook, and Blueberry Scones

So I'm FINALLY done travelling for awhile.  A month to be exact.  Don't quote me on that.   I'm ready to be at home for a change.  Ready to not live out of a suitcase.  Ready to not wear the same 3 outfits for the majority of the month.  Ready to not go angrily running down to the front desk in search of a can opener while trying to maintain the composure that my hangriness is making OH SO DIFFICULT.

Yea, I'm ready to be at home.

And I'm ready to get back to blogging!

Just to bring you all up to speed about the Engine 2 Diet stuff, we're still going strong.   Matt has lost about 12 pounds and is feeling good and motivated about everything.  I'm not weighing myself, but I do know that my clothing feels a bit looser.  So that's always nice.   We eat a vegan, oil-free, whole grain diet the entire week and then go out to dinner once a weekend to celebrate.  It's been pretty impressive to see how much has changed (at least in Matt) in terms of his appearance, his energy, his mood.

But it's also been hard as HELL to do this when I travel.   Basically I have to cook 8,000 meals and try to bring it with me.  This works when I am driving to my destination, but when I'm flying, I have to research restaurants in the area I'm going to, research where the nearest Whole Foods is, and try to bring along foods that do not need to be refrigerated (hence the scene with the can opener).

All in all, it's a pain.  But I've been trying!

Matt and I were becoming jaded with the recipes in the Engine 2 Diet book and really do not feel equipped to make our own dishes yet, so I took to the internets to see if there was any help.  Thankfully, at just about this same time, I saw that the folks at Engine 2 were doing a giveaway of Happy Herbivore.  This is a cookbook I've been coveting for awhile and so although I did not win the competition (in fact, I did not even enter...so that sort of complicates things), I did make a very wise purchase of this book.  And THAT has made all the difference.

This book is great because it has recipes that basically all fall within the guidelines of the Engine 2 diet, so we feel like we can try out all sorts of things, but it's an ACTUAL cookbook.  Not a diet/lifestyle book with a few recipes thrown in there.  

It's been great and I've loved almost everything we've made from the book.

Especially these scones:


These were delicious and especially timely because I had just returned from a family vacation where we had "Tea and Scones" in the afternoon and I couldn't participate.  No, we aren't British.

So, here's the recipe from Happy Herbivore.  I also highly recommend purchasing this book if you're looking for a supplement to Engine 2 or are just looking to cook delicious low-fat vegan food.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 c. non-dairy milk
2 tsp lemon juice
3 c whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp baking powder
pinch of fine salt
1/3 c raw sugar (optional...I chose not to use this)
1 cold banana, peeled and cut in half
1 c fresh blueberries (you can also use frozen)
dash(es) of ground giner

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.

Whisk non-dairy milk and lemon juice together, then set aside to curdle.

Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar if using, together in food processor and pulse a few times to ensure even distribution of the ingredients.

Add banana and let motor run until it has been incorporated  and the flour has little pebbles of bananas (my pebbles looked like stones...but I also didn't use a cold banana).

Transfer to a mixing bowl and pour in non-dairy milk, blueberries, and ginger, stirring until just combined.

Using a wide 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop up batter and drop onto prepared cookie sheet.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until firm to touch.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I liked these. They were very banana-y and though not as sweet as the banana dates ones you made at the RWP, that is a good thing for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might try substituting applesauce for the banana, as applesauce can also be a butter/oil substitute--without the strong flavor.

      Delete

Go ahead...leave some love.