Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mojito Popsicles!

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's been HOT. I love love LOVE hot weather, but it does discourage me from participating in another activity that I love: baking.

This means I have no desserts.

This means I'm cranky.

So, I had a revelation the other day. And that was that I should make POPSICLES! This was as I was contemplating a way to rob the CVS of all of their flavor-ice because I didn't have cash and think that charging people $7 for a package of flavored water that you then have to FREEZE YOURSELF is LUDICROUS.

I mean, I didn't care all that much...

Anyways, I did some sleuthing online and found this awesome website with recipes for alcoholic popsicles (don't ask me what I was googling), but honestly nothing sounds better than a frozen cocktail in popsicle form.

The only complicated thing about these was finding a store that carried popsicle molds. I seriously could not find them. I did however, find these weird ice cube molds that could double as popsicles, so I used that.

These were a little tricky to photograph, but here is an attempt:


They were most definitely delicious, even with my doubling of the booze involved ;)

The only thing I would warn against is that, unless you love to chew on mint leaves, be prepared for some awkward moments where you have huge mint leaves in your mouth. I would probably omit the mint leaves next time just for convenience sake, but I really do love mint and I know a mojito just isn't a mojito without mint.

Here's the recipe from "Kitchen Geek"

Mojito Pops

It makes 24 two-ounce ice cube-tray pops, six 8-ounce pops, or eight 6-ounce pops.

Ingredients
•1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
•2 1/2 cups Club Soda
•1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
•1 lemon, peeled and cut into wedges
•3 limes, peeled and cut into wedges
•1 1/2 cups sugar
•4 tablespoons light rum
Directions
Pour the lime juice, club soda, and 1 cup water into a pitcher and let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the mint, lemon and lime wedges, sugar, and rum to the pitcher. Mash all of the ingredients together with a muddler or a wooden spoon.

Pour into pop molds, being sure to distribute the fruits and mint evenly among the molds. Insert the sticks. Freeze for at least 12 hours. Remove from the freezer; let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing the pops from the molds.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this! It's worth getting popsicle trays just to try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.