Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Kicked Out of the Kitchen

I'm going to go against my normal format today. I'm going to post pictures of food I've been eating...but without the recipes.

There is a reason for all of this (and I promise this is only temporary): Matt is unemployed.

Now, you might find yourself asking what Matt's unemployment has to do with the posting of recipes or lack thereof, but there's logic. See, with Matt's unemployment status, he spends a good deal of the day in the apartment. He looks for jobs, watches reruns of "Boy Meets World," and has kicked up his level of responsibility when it comes to household chores. One of those chores being: cooking.

And grocery shopping.

Now, most people would rejoice in the idea of getting a break from trekking to the grocery store and coming home on a hot July afternoon to cook dinner, but most people aren't me.

And most people definitely aren't Matt.

See, Matt goes to the grocery store. And he spends no more than $40 on groceries that are to last us 2 weeks. I applaud his ability to do this since that's a fraction of what I end up spending during weekly trips to the grocery store, but the problem is that he shops without recipes. And without consultation with me.

Here's an example of the booty collected when Matt goes to the store:
-Huge jar of Peanut Butter
-8 Apples
-Loaf of bread
-6 cucumbers
-Economy size bag of rice
-4 habaneros

...

So, unless you are a magician, there's not much that one can throw together from these ingredients.

But on some days, I find myself wondering if his obsession with Harry Potter is actually because he's a wizard, because God bless it, he puts something together for dinner!

Like this:

Or this:

Or even this:

He's pretty magical.


And dreamy.


But that's besides the point.

You may be wondering what I do with myself while he's cooking me dinner, and that's a very good question. Lately, I've taken to concerning myself with the state of the earth while staring out the window at skies like these:


Seriously, what the heck is going on.

Then I start to panic thinking the end of the world is coming.

Then I look in the kitchen to find something to stress eat with and can only find a cucumber.

And then I collapse into a pile of emotion on the floor.


I think I need to start cooking again. And soon. It's for the best in terms of my health and the state of the world.

2 comments:

  1. I think this was my favorite post yet. LOL, for realz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I got married after his work contract ended - newlywed and unemployed, not the best combination but we're still going strong after 8 years and 2 kids - best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.