Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Royal Rant...I mean Wedding

So, I'm pissed.

First of all, the internet was blowing up last week with people complaining about how much media coverage was being geared towards the Royal Wedding. I get it, I mean, not everyone cares about wedding details and romance and that stuff, and that's perfectly fine. I had a WONDERFUL time watching and revelling in the beauty of that day and the promise that these two young people had at using their power in a responsible way. I was touched that they wrote their own prayer that mentioned justice and honor. It was as if my generation which seems to get pooped on in every other conversation was finally being represented by some people who could quite possibly win us back some credibility. This may be much MUCH more than anyone else read into the wedding, but I loved it.

Then last night happened.

I get a text message telling me to turn on my tv and in those few moments that it took me to find the remote and find a reputable news channel, I had this terrible feeling that something really REALLY bad had happened and reality as I knew it would be altered.

Then I saw the headline that Osama Bin Laden had been killed...

And then I saw that people were singing "We are the Champions" outside of the White House...

And then I saw tweets saying things like "I hope he burns in hell."

And I was disgusted. I was disgusted in many MANY different ways, but what upset me the most was that, I'm pretty sure people would not be celebrating this way if there had been a Peace Treaty signed between Palestine or Israel, or what if Bin Laden had turned himself in? I'm pretty sure the celebrations in the U.S. would have been markedly less noticeable...if they even would have happened at all.

*Photo Image Credit Google Search*

So I turned off the tv.

Which is what I'm sure many people did on Friday, I'm sure. And many of the reasons behind doing this were honorable - yes it was super wasteful and extravagant, yes they are just two people, they aren't even royalty for this country...and on and on. But I wonder if those same people who turned it off on Friday tuned in on Sunday night as the news broke of Bin Laden's death. As news anchor after news anchor informed me that I would "always remember were you were when you heard the news of Bin Laden's death," I found myself wondering why death and destruction is so much more enticing than hope and joy?

Who knows. But until I figure it out, I'm going back to not watching the news again.

Ok, rant over.

Once I'm a little calmer, I'll post the pictures and menu from the ROYAL WEDDING BONANZA I celebrated. I took the day off of work to watch, so I mean...I kind of went all out.

Alright, that's hopefully my last soapbox rant for a LONG time.

2 comments:

  1. ps - I didn't mean to alarm you with the text message. You're semi-political so I figured you'd want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thinking, beautiful lady.
    Amen, sister!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.