Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Garbage Can Pizza!

I buckled. I bought some Daiya cheese. I really REALLY wanted a pizza that was not loaded up with everything BUT cheese because honestly, even though I can tell myself I'm ok with the absence of cheese on a pizza, I really can't believe it. Pizza without cheese is just bread with tomato sauce and vegetables on it.

Isn't that called bruschetta?

Anyways, I bought the Daiya Mozzarella.

And it was good.

Matt and I decided on a whim to make a pizza using whatever we had in the kitchen (we've now done this twice since because of the success of this first Garbage Can Pizza), and we started by making our own dough. Also, we named it "Garbage Can Pizza" because most of the ingredients would end up in the garbage if not used for this pizza.

It was the end of the week...

I found this recipe for Vegan Pizza Dough on vegweb.com and then we loaded the dough up with a nice spreading of olive oil, followed by some old leftover pasta sauce and then broccoli, pineapple, jalapenos, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some leftover gardein chicken cutlets. Then we sprinkled the Daiya mozz over the top and doused the pizza with some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and some Rooster sauce for heat.

This was delish. The dough was a little bland, but who cares when you have so much flavor up top.


Some people think my taste for pizza toppings is weird.

I tell them that they are weird.

So there...


In case you were wondering, my verdict on Daiya cheese so far is two thumbs up! It definitely is still NOT cheese, but they came darn close to tasting like Mozz. Also, the gardein chicken cutlets were delish as well and when you nestle it into a pizza, no one could tell the difference I'm sure...not even an avid meateater.

I still cannot afford to eat these meat/dairy impersonators on a regular basis, but when I do get the chance, I will lean towards the Daiya and Gardein brands FO SHO.

Here's the recipe for the dough from vegweb.com

Ingredients:

2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
12 ounces beer

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet (12 x 18" or slightly smaller works well).

2. Combine all ingredients. Dough does not have to rise at all, but will be fairly wet and sticky.

3. Press into prepared cookie sheet If it seems too sticky to work with, sprinkle a little flour on it as you pat/press it into the pan.

4. Top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Bake 20-25 minutes or until dough is browning and crisp around edges.

4 comments:

Go ahead...leave some love.