Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Spinach is WILTY!

As I was planning my grocery list last week, I realized that I was cooking a lot of dishes that had the main event be a starch - like a pasta or rice dish. I've never really been a big fan of salads and I don't generally tend to like to have the GREEN part of the meal be the focus, but due to budget issues and a little nostalgia for the South, I decided to try this recipe from Donna Klein's "Supermarket Vegan" cookbook.

The recipe was titled "Southern-Style Wilted Spinach with Peanuts over Brown Rice."

This.was.a.maz.ing.

Seriously.

I don't think I've ever cooked anything so delicious before. Everyone must go home and try this.

Here's what I did wrong:
-I put the rice in water and started to heat it up, but then realized I needed to head out to yoga, so I then turned the stove off and left the rice in the water for oh...about 2 hours. When I got back from yoga, I started cooking the rice and probably didn't let it cook long enough because I was starving.
-The jalapeno was seriously hot this time, but that may be because the seeds were not ommitted. Still good. But if you DON'T like things makeyousweatspicy, maybe take out the seeds or only use half.

Verdict: I may start making this every week. I could not get enough. MAKE IT NOW!




Southern-Style Wilted Spinach with Peanuts over Brown Rice
-Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 cup salted peanuts, chopped
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
3 cups hot cooked brown rice

Directions:

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the peanuts and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately remove peanuts from the skillet and transfer to a small holding plate; set aside.

Add the oil, onion, and chili to the skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add the broth, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and half the spinach; cook, tossing often with a wide spatula, 1 minute. Add the remaining spinach and cook, tossing often, until spinach is just wilted, 1 to 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the cherry tomatoes (if using) and half the reserved peanuts, tossing well to combine. Serve at once, over the rice, sprinkled evenly with the remaining peanuts.


Make this. now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead...leave some love.