Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

How to survive pizza night as a vegan

So, I've only been a vegan for a grand total of about 10 days, but I've already realized that life isn't worth living if I have to go 10 days without pizza. So, I decided to hit the google search to try and find a way to address this need.

I stumbled upon vegweb.com, which I'm pretty sure is a gift from God because this website has a crapload of recipes. Not all of them look all that great and it's kind of ugly, BUT I was able to find this recipe for vegan pizza, submitted by user "HeyItsMikeyJ". I would like to take the opportunity to say "thank you" to Mr. HIMJ for helping me address a human need and right that is, vegan pizza.

I've never really been a huge fan of Mexican pizza, but this was AH-mazing. Even the S.O. (this will be how I refer to my significant other) liked it (he would rather eat a human than be a vegan, that's how much he loves meat).

The key was in the salsa and bean mixture which took the place of pizza sauce. I also loaded the thing up with more cilantro than was called for, but I loves me some cilantro.

It was difficult to find vegan taco seasoning packets, so I ended up having to use a fajita seasoning packet which seemed to work find.

My only caution is this: this makes 2 pizzas, which in theory is awesome, but in reality, I started to smell like this pizza after about the 7th meal.

SPICY TACO PIZZA

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (medium or hot)
1 handful cilantro, diced
1 lime
cayenne pepper, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
1 (12 ounce) package vegan burger crumbles (I use Boca or Morningstar)
1 (1.25 ounce) pouch vegan taco seasoning
olive oil
2 premade (about 22 ounces) vegan thin crust pizza doughs (I use Pillsbury thin
crust pizza dough in the tube)
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
3 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
1 head lettuce, optional
taco sauce for drizzle, optional

Directions:

1. Start with a small pot on low-medium heat and get a saucepan on another burner on medium heat. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In the small pot, mix together the 2 cans black beans and the salsa. Heat that up and mash up the black beans with the salsa, and add juice of 1/2 lime. Add spices and cilantro. This will be the sauce.

2. In the saucepan, heat the crumbles and the taco seasoning. Use a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Heat the crumbles until the seasoning mixture is absorbed. Don't worry about cooking it completely, because it'll be going in the oven eventually. Turn off the burners and put the black bean/salsa mixture and crumbles to the side.

3. Spread the pizza dough onto two cookie sheets and get that prebaking for about 4 minutes. Take out the pre-baked crust and spread the black bean/salsa mixture in an even layer as the "pizza sauce". Next, sprinkle a layer of the taco seasoned crumbles. Toss on the red peppers, green peppers and onions over the top and then decorate it with the jalapeno slices.

4. Throw it in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the crust looks crispy on the bottom. After it's done, you can throw some shredded lettuce on the top if you wish, and juice the other half of the lime over the pizza! Drizzle some hot sauce/taco sauce on the top and you'll be all set to get crazy.

Just brought this to a vegan potluck tonight and it VANISHED.

Source of recipe: I combined several recipe ideas and came up with this one. It was a HIT at the vegan potluck tonight.

Makes: About 2 10x15" pizzas, Preparation time: 20-30 Minutes, Cooking time: 15 Minutes

1 comment:

  1. If you're feeling fancy, splurge on a bag of Daiya vegan cheese and dump it on pizza. I get it at Whole Foods for about $5 a bag in California. A little pricey, but it kicks the butt of those cheese cravings.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.