Eggplant

Eggplant
Photo Credit: Google Image Search

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

An Udon Revelation!

Call me crazy, but I've never EVER cooked udon noodles. I've always loved them (although honestly, I had no idea that they were called "udon noodles" when I would eat them in my favorite Asian dishes), but never got around to cooking them.

Since I've been on an experimental kick these last few weeks, I decided to try this recipe out for Udon with Shiitake Mushrooms and Kale in Miso Broth from Veganomicon.

This was a definite experiment because I had been scouring the grocery store to find miso paste for a few weeks and FINALLY found some in Whole Foods. It was also an experiment because of the udon, but mostly it was risky because Matt hates miso soup (he says it tastes like feet) and is also not a huge fan of kale.

Tough.

This was outSTANDING!

I loved this so so so so much that I intend to make it again the next time I have houseguests (which may not be for a long time to be honest, since the wedding nonsense is still here).

Anyways, there were a few booboos here, but all in all a GREAT soup!
-The ginger was not cut up all the way (cough cough MATT'S FAULT cough cough) so every bite or so you would get a HUGE dose of ginger.
-I am on a similar search for mirin now as I was initially for miso paste. I substituted sherry. Matt has taken to drinking a glass of sherry every now and then...it makes him smell like a 90 year old woman.
-I used light miso paste rather than dark miso paste (you honestly mean to tell me that after weeks of searching for miso paste that there are different varieties??? Give.Me.A.Break.). The recipe said to add a tablespoon or so if using light miso to make sure the flavor is strong enough. I used about 4 or 5 tablespoons.

Udon noodles cook so quickly and then have that delectable worm-like texture. I want to start cooking with them more.



We topped this off with a healthy dose of Rooster Sauce and honestly, this was DELISH!


Here's the recipe for Udon with Shiitake Mushrooms and Kale in Miso Broth from "Veganomicon"

Ingredients:

1/2 pound fresh udon noodles or dried udon noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium sized red onion, sliced into thin half-moons
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ginger, minced
2 tablespoons mirin (optional)
2 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons dark miso
4 cups chopped kale
2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce, or to taste


Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the udon according to the package directions, about 10 minutes. When done, drain and rinse with cool water until read to use.

Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and mushrooms in the oil for 5 to 7 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are softened but still have some crunch. Add the garlic and ginger, and saute for another minute.

Add the mirin, water, and miso, and bring to a gentle boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and add kale. Toss the mixture around with tongs until the kale had wilted. Add the noodles and use a pasta spoon to stir them into the broth for about 2 minutes.

Divide the udon and vegetables among bowls and spoon some broth over each serving.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, looks so delicious! Udon noodles are some of my favorite. I need to go to the Asian market and stock up on them. I've never cooked with miso because... yeah not only is there dark and light, but there's also different colors!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...leave some love.